Friday, April 25, 2008

43 Places

There is a great Web site named 43 Places that I found awhile back that allows users to pick the 43 places they'd like to see in the world, read reviews about the places, and even add new ones. The Web site uses Flickr for their photos, and describes thousands of locales around the world. In addition to countries, cities, streets, and hangouts, you can even find tags such as "Hogwarts" and "Pirates of the Caribbean," for those of us that liken travel to a state of mind from time to time. Once you choose one of your 43 places you can read reviews from folks that have been there, see suggested destinations that are identified as similar, or places that are on the lists of people that also chose your particular destination. For instance, one of my 43 are the temples and pagodas of Bagan (in Burma). Similar tagged locations would be Mandalay, Ko Chang and Red Rock Canyon. The Web site is a great way to bring out the wanderlust in all of us, and even find new vacation destinations. For any curious readers out there who want to know which places in this world pique my interest most, I've listed my 43 places below:

Ko Pha-Ngan
The Tiger's Nest
Whitsunday Islands
Denali National Park
Teotihuacán
Chichen Itza
The Great Blue Hole
Copán
Palmyra
Mount Kilimanjaro
Tracking the Mountain Gorilla
Wat Phou
Mount Everest
Bagan
Cappadocia
Gonder
Namib Desert
Museum of Qin Terra Cotta Warriors and Horses
Varanasi
Machu Picchu
Galapagos Island
Borobudur Stupa
Patagonia
Palawan
Diocletian's Palace
Salar de Uyuni
African Safari
Tierra del Fuego
Kokoda Trail
Aoraki / Mount Cook National Park
Babylon
Istanbul
Villages with Fortified Churches in Transylvania
Thessaloniki
Ha Long Bay
Abu Simbel
Badlands National Park
Lhasa
Nosy Boraha
Ice Hotel
Cage diving with a great white shark
Jodhpur

1 comment:

AZChelsea said...

so Chris, I looked at your list of 43 places and I have experienced three of them...the Blue hole, Namib Desert and an African Safari. Here's my take...I can think of several things more amazing than the blue hole, but it's cool to say I've "been there, done that." In my small experience of 2 African safari's I would definitely recommend looking up the Etosha National Park in Namibia...AMAZING! That's where I was mocked charged by a very LARGE, angry male elephant! And of course, the Namib Desert...One of my all time favorite places in the world. In fact, Namibia is my favorite country I've ever traveled to. I hope you continue to mark places off your list and take a certain someone special to enjoy those places with you!