Friday, August 22, 2008

Lost on Planet China


I am going to transport myself back to my middle school days to Ms. Yates' English class and write a book review. I know people actually do this for a living and it is a highly reputable profession, but I can't help but think of standing in front of the class feeling pretty stupid for daring to criticize Steinbeck. Maybe that is why I only gave glowing reviews. So here goes.....

I just finished reading the latest and greatest book by Maarten Troost, the single most entertaining travel writer, ever. Yes, I know that is a pretty bold statement, but I stand by my opinion.....his books are so wonderful. On this blog, we have our favorite books listed and both this proceeding novels, Getting Stoned with the Savages and The Sex Lives of Cannibals are included.

In his new book, Lost on Planet China: The Strange and True Story of One Man's Attempt to Understand the World's Most Mystifying Nation, or How He Became Comfortable Eating Live Squid, Troost does not actually live in the location of which he is writing. This is a bit of a departure from the more in-depth style of description I was used to, but it did not make me like it any less. In fact, I liked it more. His ever witty remarks on the strangeness of everyday occurrences in China "Hell is a line in China. You are so forewarned" are expertly interwoven with a clear and accurate depiction of a nation full of contrasts.

The single most appealing aspect of Troost is simply his humor. The man can make a trip to the fish market the most entertaining saga you have ever read (see The Sex Lives of Cannibals). This definitely carries through in Lost on Planet China and with the oddities of everyday encounters I found myself unable to stop reading.

Hopefully Ms. Yates would have approved of this review!

No comments: