Thursday, September 25, 2008

Best Food Abroad

I love food. Like, really love food. Andrew Zimmern territory? Umm... maybe not that much. Can I be Gizmo, then Mogwai if I don't get my fill? Yes. Only the Gremlins midnight is more like my 9AM, Noon and 6PM feedings. Suffice to say, food equals good in my book. Naturally then, my travels invoke instant curiosity and excitement in me to seek out new and tasty cuisine.

I was talking today about my favorite culinary destinations in this world. After a bit of thought, I realized my two all-time favorites are Thailand and Spain. I'm curious to hear what other destinations people list amongst their favorites.

For me, Thailand is the surprise entry on my list. Not many people think of Thailand as a food mecca. And frankly, if you don't like spice, you probably won't ever list it as one of yours. That said, I can't get enough spicy food. In addition to the fact that Thailand has some of the freshest food dishes I've tasted, the balance of sweet, sour, salt, spiciness and texture are hard to beat. I love their noodles. I love their soups. I love their curries. I love the mix of influences - East and West - that build the dishes. Love, love, love.

And Spain? What can I say. The mere thought of tapas and sangria is enough to get my heart pumping. Calderos, grilled squid in olive oil & garlic, beef tenderloin & blue cheese, goat cheese baked in tomato sauce, perfect olives, paella, perfectly cooked meat, do I need to go on? It's also worth mentioning that any culture that sits down to frequent meals that surpass the two-hour mark, will always get high marks from me.

I can't write about food for too long, because I get hungry. So, I'm out for now but give us your thoughts.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

You are a human garbage disposal.

Chris Tharp said...

Don't hate the carnivore.