Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Even the airport is amazing!


So i have officially arrived in Bhutan, probably the most picturesque place I have ever seen in my life. We had a bit of an early morning flight (we had to be up at 2:15) which some might still consider night....I know I do. But even the flight here was so well worth it. Air Druk, the national airline and the only flights in and out of Bhutan, is a quaint little airline with the happiest flight attendants i have ever seen. We were able to see Everest out the side window of the plane, which only slightly worried me when all of the passengers on the right side got out of their seats to lean over everyone on the left side. Asians clearly have no personal space issues :)

Our landing was really spectacular, we flew in between a valley where the hills were so close on either side we could basically see into people's windows. Everyone on the plane was silent, just taking in the beauty. Upon arriving in what I cannot describe as the airport as any thing other than a monastery. I have never smelled crisper, fresher more fragrant air. This place has a silence to it I cannot describe. I don't ever want to raise my voice above a whisper so as to not destroy the ambiance.

Today we are off on a bike ride to a dzong in the hills. Not too bad........

1 comment:

Catherine (aka Lucy's Mommy) said...

Wow---the descriptions and pictures are just beautiful!