Saturday, May 3, 2008

Mmmmm... Beer

Okay, I know, I know... You're wondering why you are reading about beer on our blog. I have a better question: Why wouldn't you be? For me, sampling new beer as I travel is as much a staple as trying new cuisine, or experiencing new cultures. I love arriving in a country and settling in at a pub with a cold beer and a map to plan my next move. Many years back I traveled to Europe for a few months with a very good friend of mine, and we made it our mission to drink a Guinness in every city we arrived in before doing anything else: Finding accomodations, eating, sleeping... you get the point. Anyhow, this philosophy coupled with my new favorite show Three Sheets inspired me to amass a list of some of my favorite brews. So, here they are in no particular order:

Guinness: An Irish stout. Best Guinness I've had: At a pub on the western side of the Sevilla Cathedral.
Caffreys Cream Ale: Another Irish brew. Unfortunately, my days of being able to pick this beauty up at the store are long gone as it is no longer available in the States.
Beamish Stout: One more Irish stout.... fantastic. Had a pint in London once with some fish and chips - best thing I did in that country.
Budvar: For any of you Czech Republic fans, you know that this is the real Budweiser.
Staropramen Granat: Staropramen's semi-dark pilsner. One of the best. Oh, and when you are buying them for 50 cents on the Vlatava River in Prague, it doesn't get much better.
Struise Pannepot : A strong Belgian Ale. Weird name, but trust me on this one.
Yebisu Black: This is a dark lager only found in Japan. Though not as good as Guinness, the fact that you can buy it at a train station and drink it with friends over a card game on the bullet trains is pretty neat.
1554: This Brussels Style Black Ale is my favorite from the New Belgiam Brewing Company in Ft. Collins, CO. Most of you are more acquainted with Fat Tire, another of their fine brews.
Delirium Tremens: One of my all-time favorites, this Belgian tripple has a nearly 9% alcohol content. The pink elephants on the bottles are a nice touch as well.
Pilsner Urquell Kvasnicový: This unfiltered Czech brew (Pilsner) is brilliant. By the way, the bottled version you may find at Von's is not what I am talking about here...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jessica said...

Do NOT open the link from fenrisar.....it will download a virus.