Friday, May 9, 2008

Top ten reasons to visit Japan

I have a public service announcement: Japanese taxis might be possessed. Yep - certifiably, nuts. In fact, I'm not sure taxis there could possibly be from the same genus as those in our lovely New York City. Or Chicago. Or Los Angeles. They are a new species. First off, don't touch the doors. Nope, they'll open for you automatically. I half expected KITT to then greet me. KITT did not... Kazuki did though, and he had a suit on, he even smiled. Secondly, the cabs are spotless. They even have those doilies on the seats like you'd see at your grandmother's house when you were a kid. What is this? Automatic doors? Friendly drivers? A clean car with doilies? Nonsense. It can't be. They must be possessed.

The taxis alone are worth a visit. But if you plan to see more, here's 10 more reasons to visit this fantastic nation that I lived in for several months:

1. The toilets. There, I said it. What you ask could possibly be redeemable about a toilet? Well, try this: Seat warmers. automatic night lights, bidets (yes, that's plural), a dryer, automatic seat raisers, varied flush functions. Do I need to say more?
2. The sashimi: I guarantee you've never had fresher tasting, better fish in your life.
3. Tsukiji fish market: Any day you can peruse one of the largest fish markets in the world while being chased by frozen sea monsters on dollies is a good one in my eyes. Side note: Japan: Stop killing whales and cutting off shark fins. I don't care what kind of medicinal value it has.
4. Kyoto: Any city with 17 UNESCO World Heritage Sites does not need an introduction.
5. Fuji-san: For anyone that has climbed the 10 stations of the mountain, you know its beauty. A well-kept secret though are the many natural hot spring ryokans you can stay at near the base.
6. Sake: Love this stuff. Try any Premium Ginjo. Kanpai!
7. Nikko: I fell in love with this city best known for its beautiful temple and Tosho-gu Shrine.
8. Shinjuku... At night: Picture Times Square on steroids and 50 times larger.
9. Business-people doing calisthenics in front of skyscrapers: Can you really beat 100 men in suits doing stretching routines at 6AM?
10. The people: Some of the most genuine, friendly people in the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thx 4 sharin ur experiance! it helped me wiv my hwk I LOVE U **(nt sexually...i promise!)** x]
<3

DeanW said...

i challenge your top 10 list with mine! hehe we both mentioned toilets...

http://deanwormald.com/japan-travel-guide-in-english/why-travel-to-japan