Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Top Ten Archaeological Trips

By now you all know how much I love archaeology, ancient ruins, and the destinations in this world that are home to these magnificent places. Several years back I made my own top ten list of these destinations and promised myself that I'd do everything in my power to visit them. Several of these sites I have already visited, several more are scheduled, and a few more I hope to see later in life. I thought it would be interesting to list my top ten list with my thoughts on each. Obviously there are hundreds of worthy candidates, and I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on any sites they think should be put into the list. So without further adieu, here is my dream list:

1. The Pyramids, Egypt: The Pyramids of course are probably the most well-known site in the world. And really, this entry should just say "Egypt." The Pyramids are incredible, but you also have to include Luxor, The Valley of the Kings/Queens, Memphis, The Sphinx and Abu Simbel. This is a check-mark for me as I have been to Egypt (and am dying to go back).
2. Petra, Jordan: In terms of "take-your-breath-away" rankings, this may be #1. For those of you that aren't familiar with this place, it's in Southern Jordan and consists of an entire city carved out of rock. There is some debate around when this city was built, but what is known is it belonged to the ancient Nabataeans. Most well-known is the treasury as you exit the siq (was profiled in Indian Jones and the Last Crusade), but fewer people realize that the treasury is just one of a hundred different parts of the city. I think the most spectacular place is the Monastery at Petra (you have to climb over 800 carved stairs up the canyon to get there). I have also had the good fortune of exploring this site as well.
3. The Colosseum, Rome: I think everyone is familiar with the Colosseum; an amazing feat of construction in the old city area of Rome. I was able to visit this site in college on a 3-month backpack trip around Europe.
4. Angkor Wat, Cambodia: Wow. I think of all the places I have been, this may have been the most incredible overall. This site is in the jungles of Cambodia and is as immense a complex as I have ever seen (you really need no fewer than three days here). First built in the 12th century, this fabled lost city is an architectural masterpiece combining Hindu and Buddhist influences.
5. Machu Picchu, Peru: Nestled in a natural setting on the eastern slopes of the Andes lies Machu Picchu, the Incan Empire's defining piece of architecture. The complex was built around 1450, and not re-discovered until the early 1900s. I have not been to this site yet, but promised to see it for the first time with my sister, so hopefully I can make that happen soon.
6. Mayan Ruins of Central America: I grouped these Mayan sites together because there are so many I'm not sure I can separate them. That said, the most incredible examples are Tikal in Guatemala, Copan in Honduras, and Chichen Itza in Southern Mexico. The Mayans are known for their elaborate and highly decorated ceremonial architecture, temple-pyramids, palaces and observatories (all built without metal tools). This massive civilization lived from 2600BC - 300AD. I am planning to see both Tikal and Copan in August.
7. Great Wall, China: Built and maintained from the 6th century BC until nearly the 16th century AD, this construction is over 4000 miles long and at its height was manned by over a million men. This construction (along with possibly the Pyramids) is my leading candidate for the most spectacular accomplishment in all of history to present-day. The sheer size of the Wall is almost not comprehensible. I have not yet been to the Wall, but will someday plan to visit the Mutianyu Great Wall sections and the North Pass of Juyonggua.
8. Old City Jerusalem, Israel: The Old City of Jerusalem only covers one square kilometer, but packs more history into its space than perhaps any other place in the world. In addition to it being the historical epicenter of the three major religions, the number of archaeological sites are almost too many to list: The Western Wall, Temple Mount, Holy Sepulchre, Dome of the Rock, and The Cardo ... just to name a few. I spent some time here a few years back and feel like I barely scratched the surface.
9. Teotihuacán, Mexico: This often forgotten site can be summed up in one fact: At it's height in the 1st century AD it was larger than any city of the same era in Europe.... including Rome. I have not yet been here, and haven't planned a trip yet to do so.... Anyone want to come with me?
10. Mesa Verde, Colorado: This is the wild-card of the group, but if you've been here you'll know why I've included it. Mesa Verde was built by the Old Pueblo people (Anasazi's) that thrived in this region from 600AD-1300AD before mysteriously disappearing. The most well-known complex here is the Cliff Palace: A multi-story apartment complex built into a 325-footlong, 90-foot-deep, 65-foot-high cliff. The building had 200 rooms and 23 underground ceremonial rooms (kivas) used for social and religious rituals. There are 400 other cliff dwellings in the National Park as well. I climbed up into this site as a kid and it alone sparked my lifelong fascination with lost cities and archaeology.

No comments: