Wednesday, June 4, 2008

When rocks fall


Today we have a travel story from our guest blogger, the wonderful, talented and very handsome Mitch..........

Driving a rental car in a foreign country is something everyone should try at least once. It’s a great way to get out of your comfort zone, visit places rarely seen by tourists, and find out once and for all if you suffer from road rage.

Last October, I had a blast driving a car around the Dordogne region in southwest France. I was able to set my own pace and see quaint villages that public transportation rarely visits. Renting a car gave me the opportunity to cram in as many destinations as possible each day. I call this phenomenon “turbo travel.” On a side note, Chris agrees with me that Rome can in fact be seen in a day.

Halfway through my trip I’m driving through a small town somewhere in France. The surroundings are beautiful and I can’t believe how blessed I am to be in Europe again. I see a sign at the base of a cliff with a caution sign indicating “Beware of Falling Rocks.” I don’t think much of it and keep driving along the winding roads. Two minutes later I hear a loud bang followed by the sound of broken glass behind me. I turn my head around and keep driving, unable to see what had happened. Inexplicably, I forget about the incident until I’m getting into my car 3 days later. Above the passenger side door I see a huge dent I know that no rental car agent would miss. Ah…so that’s what the noise was. The car was damaged, I had purchased no additional insurance, and my French was nonexistent on a good day. Somehow, after checking the car out, the agent told me everything looked okay. I couldn’t believe my good luck.

Despite my close call I still feel that renting a car is the way to go. I wouldn’t drive around Paris but in the smaller towns you’re afforded much greater flexibility. That being said, just watch out for falling rocks.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I just drove through Guatemala. I'm an aggressive driver to begin with but I fell in love with the aggressive driving of the Guatemalans. We did purchase the additional insurance because we were informed by our insurance company they would not cover us there. I got so good at passing 6 cars on a blind curve! It got a little tricky when I returned to the states because I was a bit too aggressive for LA standards. yes - it is that much worse.

great tip guest blogger. hope to hear from you again soon.