Monday, June 9, 2008

Packing 101

After re-reading all of the conversation sparked by my American Airlines post last week, I thought I'd write another entry to talk about a class that should be taught in every grade-school around the world: Packing 101. Recent moves by airlines, and my experience traveling, has taught me two things: One, the airlines will continue to try and find ways to nickel and dime travelers, and two, people don't know how to pack. I mean seriously folks, how many times have you been at the airport and seen the couple pushing 12 bags towards check-in? Or how many people do you know that get away for the weekend and can't seem to find a way to bring less than three bags? What do you people possibly need that requires so many bags?

I know this is tough for you excessive packers out there so you may need to sit down: It is possible to get away for two, three, or four days with just a carry-on. Okay people, deep breaths... get a paper bag if you need to... it can be done. Here are some helpful packing tips to avoid having to pay (certain) airlines, and/or chronic back pain later in your life:

1. Roll your clothes: Sounds a bit odd I know but your clothes are going to be wrinkled anyhow, why not save space? Plus, what hotel, condo, or home doesn't have an ironing board? This method is a great way to save a ton of space. Try it. You'll be surprised.

2. Limit yourself to two pairs of shoes: Unless you've got a black-tie event to be at, you should be able to get by with two pairs of shoes for a long weekend. I can't tell you how many people I've traveled with that bring three or four pairs of shoes along and then just wear one pair for three days. I know folks, you want options, and if you want to pay for an extra bag be my guest, otherwise this is an easy way to save the most space.

3. Use extra space: Make sure you take advantage of all those cool side pockets and containers. This space is great for underwear and socks once you're done packing. Also, make sure to use the space inside of your shoes for odds and ends, as well as the pockets on the outside of the bag.

4. Know your limits: The standard carry-on bag dimensions allowed by most airlines is 45", or a 22" x 14" x 9" bag. Make sure you've got a nice bag that uses every inch of it!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I was once one of those people who you stare at in utter bewilderment. I agreed to bring my brother's bike back from Chicago and I'd done a bit of shopping while in Chi-town. There I was walking through LAX with a bike box, roller bag, 2 shopping bags and my carry on large purse. Of course I refused all offers of help or the use of a cart. I could do this on my own!